Jesus said to them,
“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." -John 6:35


Friday, April 9, 2010

What's in it for me?

In our culture we are self indulgent. We do things with the mindset of "what can I get out of this" or "what good is this going to do for me". So when asking "What does it mean to be a Christian", I'm sure some people ponder the same self indulgent question, "What's in it for me"?

There is a very simple answer that I struggled to wrap my head around. The answer: We get God. When this life ends we get to be in the presence of our Almighty Creator with the absence of pain, suffering, and tears. I do need to clarify that I didn't struggle with this answer because I wanted more, it was the complete opposite actually. I simply wanted nothing. A few times in my life I wanted to not exist, I wanted the absence of everything. The thought of eternal life was daunting. Thankfully God's mercy has saved me from those thoughts. The absence of everything was not the answer because the few times I wanted nothing it was the presence of something that actually ended my desire for nothingness.

Psalm 16 reminds me of the strength and courage we receive from God:
7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your a holy one see corruption.

11 You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
"I shall not be shaken... my flesh dwells secure," verse 8 and 9 of Psalm 16 rings in my head as I recall one of the nights I needed a verse such as this. I needed peace and comfort and there it was in the written word of God. The presence of God led to the absence of my fear.

So... "What's in in for me?" Psalm 16 gives us the answer in verse 11 "In your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." With eternal life comes the presence of Jesus Christ, which simply should be enough. But because of His presence we also receive full joy and pleasure with the absence of all suffering. I praise the Lord for His Word which comforts in time of suffering and gives us insight to His kingdom.

1 comment: