Jesus said to them,
“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." -John 6:35


Monday, September 5, 2011

Christian = Disciple


Here is a struggle I have.  When I say I'm a Christian, does it ring true in my life?  When people look at me is the light of Christ radiating from my being.  I love how my husband describes my earthly father's faith, he says you can just smell Christ on him.  I wonder if that is true in my own life?  Part of this frustration comes from looking back to my past.  I said I was a Christian for many years because I went to church, directed children's church choir, went to Sunday School, I was even 'confirmed'.  Now I question what that confirmation test actually meant.  (I think I missed 23 questions on the test and yet the church still confirmed me as a 'solid believer'.)  As I've grown in my faith the past few years I have come to realize I was not a Christian.  It was a sad realization to come to but so true.  In a recent sermon, my husband preached from Ezra 7 and 1 Peter 2 (if you would like to read more about how these 2 particular passages relate here's a link to our church blog).  The purpose of mentioning his sermon was one point that struck me: being a Christian is being a disciple of Jesus Christ.  A disciple is not a higher up, better, or more knowledgable Christian, a disciple is a Christian.  First Peter chapter 2 helps us see this:
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
Christians are the "chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession," we are called "out of darkness into his marvelous light".  These are powerful words and truths of our faith.  When taking on the title of 'Christian', we need to think about the weight that comes with the word.  We are saved from our sinful nature and saved to an eternal existence in the presence of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  We are God's people, saved by his grace but that's not where we stop.  Let's look at Ezra 7:10 to see where we go from here:
For Ezra had set his heart to study the Law of the LORD, and to do it and to teach his statutes and rules in Israel.
Ezra's desire should be our desire as Christians: to study, know and teach the word of God.  We are not excused from studying our Bible, going to church, praying, or encouraging others in Christ because we are not that 'type of Christian'. There is no other type.  When we take on the title of Christian our desires should change to want more of Christ and to tell others about him.  We can follow Christ's example in discipling fellow Christians by coming together to study His word, to pray for one another, to hold each other accountable, and to build up the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:11).

Praise God who called us out of darkness and into his mavelous light!

No comments:

Post a Comment